Valleywise Health: Over 140 years of putting our patients first.


We’ve been around for nearly a century-and-a-half, and our commitment to providing the best care for you and other Valley residents has remained the same. Click through the timeline below to see how we’ve grown over the years to better serve more of our community’s needs.

2019

MIHS reopens the Emergency Department at Maryvale hospital and opens 48 behavioral health beds, with plans for a total of 192 beds.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2018
Valleywise Health announces purchase of Valleywise Behavioral Health Center - Maryvale

Groundbreaking for new West Valley Primary and Specialty Care Center in Peoria.

Valleywise Health announces purchase of Valleywise Behavioral Health Center – Maryvale

MIHS, Creighton University School of Medicine, Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, and District Medical Group, Inc., announce the Creighton University – Arizona Health Education Alliance.

Pop superstar Taylor Swift visits young burn patient in the Arizona Burn Center.

2017

District Board of Directors awards Vanir Construction Management, Inc. a contract to provide Integrated Program Management Construction Services for a new health care system.

MIHS opens a 14 bed Adolescent Behavioral Health Unit at its Desert Vista Behavioral Health Center in Mesa.

MIHS opens the First Episode Center to treat teens and young adults dealing with a first psychotic break.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2016

District Board votes unanimously to accept a Proposition 480 plan with objectives for rebuilding health care system.

2015

Center for Disease Control designated MIHS as an Ebola and Infectious Disease Treatment Center.

MIHS opens new Behavioral Health Unit on the campus of Maricopa Medical Center.

Steve Purves, President and CEO, begins “100 Day Workout” initiative that leads to $160 million financial turnaround of MIHS in 2 years.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2014
Valleywise History

Bond Advisory Committee recommended the issuance of General Obligation Bonds not to exceed $935 Million.

Maricopa County voters approve Proposition 480 by an overwhelming margin of approximately 64%.

Maricopa County Special Health Care District Board voted unanimously to place a General Obligation Bond on the ballot.

2013
Betsey Bayless

Betsey Bayless was appointed President Emeritus of the Maricopa Integrated Health System in September 2013 by the organization’s five member Governing Board after leading the Valley’s only public health system for eight years as President and Chief Executive Officer.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2013
Steve Purves

Steve Purves becomes President and CEO of MIHS.

2012

Bond Advisory Committee formed.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2008

Refugee Women’s Clinic opened.

2003

Maricopa County voters approved Special Health Care District.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1999

Renovated Burn Center dedicated and renamed The Arizona Burn Center.

1995

Maricopa Medical Center expanded to 555 beds.

The graduate medical education program was the largest in the entire country.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1993
Valleywise History

First 24-hour pediatric emergency department established.

The Comprehensive Health Center opened.

1992
Valleywise History

Burn unit classified as a burn center.

New trauma receiving rooms built.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1991

Maricopa Integrated Health System formed.

1989
Valleywise History

The county’s first HIV specialty clinic, the McDowell Healthcare Center, established.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1988
Valleywise History

Helipad enlarged to accommodate four helicopters.

A crisis nursery for abused children built.

1983

Name changed to Maricopa Medical Center to reflect a more positive public perception.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1978
Valleywise History

a 92-bed behavioral health annex opened.

Maricopa County Hospital Women’s Auxiliary formed.

1976
Valleywise History

New burn unit building built.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1974

The crisis nursery was built at the east end of the hospital campus

1971
Valleywise History

The new Maricopa County General Hospital opened (the current Valleywise Health location)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1967

Arizona Health Commissioner George Speedlove, County Health Commissioner Stan Farnsworth, MacDonald Wood, Derrill Manley, county hospital advisory board member Al Brewer, and Maricopa Medical Society President John Ash break ground for the new hospital.

1965
Valleywise History

Arizona Burn Center founded.

MIHS opens the first Trauma Center in the state of Arizona.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1962
Valleywise History

New maternity wing built.

1961

The first hospital advisory board was formed.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1958
Valleywise History

Medical library created to serve the residency programs.

1954
Valleywise History

100-bed tuberculosis wing built.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1953

Maricopa County General Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Hospitals.

1952
Valleywise History

MIHS has one of the oldest and largest physician training programs in Arizona. The American Medical Association approved teaching hospital status for MIHS in 1952 and the medical education program began the following academic year.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1949

Multiple additions to the hospital provided service space for medical, pediatric, obstetrical and surgical patients. The new building featured air conditioning and added 61 beds, bringing the total beds to 278.

1948

The hospital was licensed as a health care facility by the Arizona Department of Health Services.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1935

Phoenix and its surrounding area began to be called “The Valley of the Sun,” which was an advertising slogan invented to boost tourism.

1912

Arizona became a state.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1898

County hospital (convalescent poor farm and hospital with 56 patients) relocated to Durango and 35th Avenue.

1889

Phoenix became the territorial capital

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1883

First county hospital opened near 7th Avenue (and Roosevelt Street)

1877

County established a pest house (contagious disease) within the city limits

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1876

Small hospital developed by Dr. Wharton with three county patients

1871

Maricopa County created

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1870

Phoenix formed with 320 acres and 235 inhabitants

1865

Territorial law set up to “provide for indigent sick of the country”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1863

Arizona territory established