Podiatric Medicine & Surgery
Faculty: Dr. Bryan Roth & Dr. Marisse Lardizabal
Length of Time: 2-3 month clerkship
Maximum: Clerks 2/month
Limitations/pre-requisites: 3.0 GPA or higher
Our fourth-year podiatric medical student rotations are specially-designed to give you an in-depth exposure to podiatric medicine and surgery at Valleywise Health. We place a large emphasis on wound care and surgery related to wounds, but with our busy clinic volume, you’re sure to experience all aspects of podiatric medicine and surgery.
Among the many conditions you will be exposed to are congenital deformities in neonates, trauma of all varieties, biomechanics, and foot complaints in a range of ages, from pediatric to geriatric. You’ll be responsible for daily in-patient rounds with the residents and attendings.
Didactic series occur Wednesday mornings with journal club at least once each month.
As a student, you will rotate through Valleywise Health’s Podiatry Clinic. Surgery will be divided equally between all students and performed several times per week with faculty. In clinic, you will be expected to see patients, present to a senior resident or attending, formulate a differential diagnosis, recommend tests to narrow the diagnosis list and discuss the case with the attending. All students will be expected to give a 20 min lecture on a topic of their choice before the end of each month.
You will be evaluated on your school’s evaluation requirements. You must maintain a clinical case log in accordance with your school – this log will be reviewed prior to your departure at the end of an assigned rotation. If your school does not provide an evaluation tool, we will use our own.
Visit https://dpmclerkships.org/. Please note that applications must be received a minimum of 80 days in advance.
- We accept students from the following institutions:
- California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University
- Des Moines University College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
- Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
- Midwestern University Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
- Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine at the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine
- Western University of Health Sciences College of Podiatric Medicine
If you have any questions, please contact us through the contact form on this page